Wednesday, July 4, 2007

PART FOUR: Printing the Patch

In Part Two you saw the printing supplies; ink, brayer, inking plate and the carved block design for PEACE. I'm using screen printing ink which is a little runnier than linoleum block print ink which comes in a tube but I couldn't find the textile version so I've been using this ink which works for me.

Put a small amount of ink on the inking plate (hard to see black ink on black plate!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Using the inking plate and the brayer to ink the brayer evenly


and then roll the ink onto the block print design, making sure it is inked universally
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Then press the block onto the fabric carefully, press down hard, then remove and voila! Here are three prints. I re-ink the block each time.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lots o' PEACE here
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I will let this dry now, probably a full day or overnight to make sure it's set.

NEXT: Heat set the patch and prepare for sewing to the dress.

No comments: